- This event has passed.
June 19, 2019 @ 12:00 AM EDT
OPEN 2018: Platform Cooperatives
The platform cooperative economy is evolving as a viable alternative to the centralised, profit-hungry, extractive business model which dominates the web today.
By shifting the focus toward fundamentally fairer forms of ownership and governance, and rewarding their communities instead of venture capitalists, platform cooperatives provide a template for a new type of organisation – forming the building blocks for a more equitable economy.
The co-operative model is far from new but, as more and more of the businesses we rely on move online, the co-operative sector must evolve to stay relevant and challenge the norms of this new digital world. By placing members at the heart of organisational ownership and governance and the development of thriving communities before profit, platform cooperatives form an essential component of the transition to a transparent, democratic and decentralised economy which works for everyone. A society in which anyone can become a co-owner of the organisations on which they, their family and their community depend. A world where everyone can have say in the decisions that affect them.
OPEN 2018, the Platform Cooperatives conference, will focus on five themes:
- The Platform cooperative showcase will present examples from functioning platform co-ops, including practical examples of legal structures, funding and financial setups, and detailed insight from platform co-op practitioners about how their organisations work.
- The Collaborative and Peer to Peer technology sessions will feature presentations on alternative digital currencies, open source tools and technology and the development of the new platforms and protocols which are enabling online co-operation to evolve at scale.
- Discussions on the changing narrative will explore the co-operative vision and the evolving politics and philosophy of a world of abundance and inclusivity which underpins the creation of a more collaborative, equitable economy which works for people and planet before profit.
- Co-op Tools will feature practical workshops, guidance, techniques, software and advice for existing and aspiring co-ops.
- Joining the Dots will feature updates and summarise from other allied conferences, events and platform co-op practitioners from other countries as well as news from other networks and discussions about Networking the Networks
Incorporating a mix of presentations, showcases, discussions and open space sessions in which the participants decide what is discussed, OPEN 2018 presents an opportunity to meet co-operative development experts, legal practitioners and software developers to discuss the structure, challenges and opportunities of the new cooperative economy