- This event has passed.
15th Annual Nonprofit Governance Symposium
January 24, 2019 @ 8:00 AM—January 25, 2019 @ 4:00 PM EST$350
AGENDA AT A GLANCE
Leadership Matters: Celebrating 15 Years of Excellence in Nonprofit Governance
THURSDAY JANUARY 24 – PLENARIES, SEMINARS/WORKSHOPS AND RECEPTION
8:00 Networking & Breakfast
8:15 Video: Governance as Leadership – 3 Essential Roles
8:30 Welcome & Opening Remarks
- James Harris, President, University of San Diego
8:45 Update from the Sector: Key Trends & What They Mean for Nonprofit Boards
9:10 Opening Plenary
9:50 Networking & Refreshments
10:00 Seminars & Workshops – I
11:30 Lunch with Table Talks
12:45 Seminars & Workshops – II
2:15 Seminars & Workshops – III
3:45 Reception Welcome
- Emily Young, Executive Director of The Nonprofit Institute at the University of San Diego
3:50 Presentation of the 2018 Kaleidoscope Award for Good Governance
4:00 Reception & Networking with Entertainment
FRIDAY, JANUARY 25 – KETNOTE, SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS, CLOSING PLENARY
7:30 NPLM & PhD Alumni and Student Invitational Breakfast with Special Speaker
8:00 Breakfast & Networking
8:45 Welcome & Opening Remarks
9:00 One Year in from the 2017 Tax Bill – Preliminary Research Findings
- Laura Deitrick Associate Director of The Nonprofit Institute and Professor of Practice, Department of Leadership Studies
10:15 Networking & Refreshments
10:30 Seminars & Workshops – IV
11:45 Lunch with Table Talks
1:15 Seminars & Workshops -VI
3:00 Closing Plenary
Each year, we organize professional development workshops tailored to nonprofits and philanthropy boards. This year, we have placed an emphasis on different aspects of leadership development, as well as topics of critical interest that have been identified in the community. Workshop offerings include:
- Board Development: Building a Diverse and Inclusive Board
- Board Development: Legal Basics – Everything a Board Should Know but Forgot to Ask
- Crisis Management & Reputational Risk: What Every Board Member Should Know
- Financial: Finanace Managment – Best Practices in Budgeting, Forecasting, Performance, and Reporting
- Fundraising: Building a Comprehensive Fundraising Strategy
- Storytelling: How to Bring Your Mission Alive!
Registration and Discount Information:
Discounts available to
- Groups (must include at least 3 board members and 1 staff member to qualify)
- Small Nonprofit Organizations (annual budget <100k).
*Discounts not applicable to Early Bird registration option*
Workshop Selection will be done onsite at the Symposium.
Parking is included with all ticket options.
For more information send your inquiry to: email@example.com
What is the Nonprofit Governance Symposium?
The purpose of the Annual Nonprofit Governance Symposium is to highlight current best practices, lessons learned from the field, and trends in effective nonprofit and philanthropic board leadership, as well as board recruitment and retention. The premise is that governing well is essential for strong nonprofits working efficiently and effectively to address critical needs in our communities. This year, the overarching theme is Leadership Matters. This theme is woven throughout plenaries, seminars and workshops organized around three modes of governance: fiduciary, strategic, and generative.
A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
- MUFG Union Bank
- San Diego Business Journal
- Community Boost Consulting
- CalNonprofits Insurance Service
- Goldman Sachs Foundation
- Moss Adams LLP
- Alliant Educational Foundation
- Rancho Santa Fe Foundation
- San Diego Grantmakers
- YH Advisors
- First Republic Bank
How many tickets may I purchase?
You may purchase up to 4 tickets through this registration portal.
Each ticket must have it’s own name and email address.
Duplicate names and/or email address will nullify your ticket.
For groups of 5 or more please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Parking is included in your registration fee. Directions and Parking information will be provided prior to the event.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact us at email@example.com with your questions.
What’s the refund policy?
A refund will be given if notified by 5:00 pm on Friday, January 18, 2019. Absolutely no refunds will be given after this date and time.
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn’t match the person who attends?
Ticket and registration must match. Each name and email must be unique to the individual attending. Using the same name and/or email address will nullify your registration.